Monday, November 14, 2011

coffee in the afternoon



did i ever tell you i'm a dogwalker? i probably did, but i'm so lousy about keeping this blog up-to-date that i've long forgotten what i might've mentioned. at any rate, i am. in this life, i've had a few jobs, but next-to-zero "careers"--until i moved to virginia and became a dogwalker. then i knew "this is it!" i've been a crazy animal-lover my whole life, easily brought to tears by various dogfood commercials, mewling kittens, thought of abused animals, etc etc. i've got a soft heart in nearly all matters, but with animals i'm a complete goner.



at one point, i thought maybe vet school was the answer for me. it was the first thing i could imagine being when i was little ("an aminal doctor!") up until i was in my 20s, even, when i actually got a job at a vet, with plans to go on to veterinary school to hopefully become a technician, the dream was still alive. but gradually i learned i don't have the stomach for it. or, rather, when an animal was brought in sick, or injured, or abused--needing surgery or eased into its next life--i dissolved into buckets of tears. not practical for a line of work in which the nature of your job is basically to keep a stiff upper lip.

so, i had a few jobs in between, searching searching--always searching--until the early 2000s when i thought "oh! dog walker!" of course. i could babysit animals and get to only experience the best of their days, not having to deal with the sadness of being a part of their lives. PERFECT.



of course, i soon enough realized that was not true, either. naturally, i become pretty attached to every dog i walk (this goes for kitties i sit for, too) and when they get sick, or injured, or the time comes for them to pass on, i am a WRECK. but, whereas in the vet world, such an overflowing heart is considered a downfall, in petsitting it's considered a plus. at least, so far, in my experience. the owners never question whether i care as much about their animals as they (hopefully) do. i am focused, attentive, loving--i go above and beyond to make sure they get the most out of my visits and keep their health and the forefront of my mind.it's a perfect fit for me.

i left my petsitting company at the end of last month, and i'm taking steps to begin walking and sitting on my own. it's an exciting time (despite some legal and psychological setbacks) and i'm really looking forward to enriching my life (and the life of "my" dogs and cats) as i realize my full career potential. yay? YAY.


1 comment:

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?